[A83] Re: questions to port to ti-82

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:50:17 +0200, guillaume.h@ifrance.com wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I will not use any FP operator in my
> programs, so I may use the ptemp pointer ?

No, because (ptemp) points to a place in the middle of the vat, namely
the section for tempory variables.
If you take a look at the 83+sdk docs, you'll see that free ram is
located between the floating point stack which grows upwards and the
operator stack which grows downwards. So the pointer you're looking for
is (FPS), which points to the top of the floating point stack and as
such the start of free ram.
Before you start using this area you do have to check if there's enough
free ram, by subtracting (FPS) from (OPS) and comparing that to the
amount of ram you need. (You may have to inc/dec this number to get the
exact amount of free bytes. It depends on what byte (xPS) points to and
I forgot that.)