[A83] Re: 83p os

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: 83p os

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:06:21 +0100
"Patai Gergely" <patai_gergely@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > > And how could you achieve this? There is no hardware support for
> > > such features AFAIK.
> > to do a jump is easy... You just load the address you wanna jump to
> > in a register, and the prog-base in another and add before the
> > jump... Or use relative jumps...
> Relocation is not the hard part. I wasn't even thinking about it as a
> problem.
> What about memory variables? Would there be a common area for them at
> a fixed address? That's not exactly the best idea with a multithreaded
> OS. You can't really avoid the modification of the programs. Relative
> jumps simply don't suffice anyway.
>
> When saying "features", I was actually referring to the interrupt
> part: how would you prevent any program from setting IM 2?

If somebody want to have a interrupt in his program, they can chose
another OS... this OS is built for applications without direct jumps and
interrupts. But you can simulate interrupt with a loop that sends
signals in another thread, or maybe use software-interrupts if we
implement it.

--
Max Sikstrom
pengi@molik.org