[A83] Re: Me so curious

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Me so curious

> In that case, more questions:
> 1. What if page 0 was mapped to 4000h? Would it run?

IMHO no

> 2. What if a flash page was mapped to C000h? Would it
> run?

Yes

> 3. What is this special trick? Copying code from page
> 0 to page 1?

that's basicly it, it involves doing a little "paging" of your own,
copying bits (not Binary digITS) of code from the latter half of your
program to a space in the first half

> 4. Why is the page starting at 8000h also mappable? Is
> it used by ROM functions that access other FLASH pages
> (ie _flashtoram)?

It has something to do with the way the 83+ was designed...
the SE has multiple ram pages, so you can map different pages to 8000-FFFF
for "virtual calcs" (check out vcalc by DS if you want to know more)

> > > 2. If _flashtoram with a=0 really copies from ram
> > > flash, how do you specify the page?
> >
> >   the 83+ SDK doesn't mention this feature, where
> > did you get this
> >   info?
> The "Plasma" Ion-compatible shell says in its code:
> ;Undocumented function of flashtoram. If a=0 it copies
> form Ram! Me like this:)
> ;Thank you joe f[lint] for discovering this.

it doesn't say that it copys from ram to flash.
it just copies from ram to ram, maybe just mapping some ram-page into
4000-7FFF, or doing no mapping at all....

> However, it doesn't seem to use this function. I guess
> I should be asking Joe Flint, or Brandon Engleberth
> (the other author of Plasma). Does anyone know how to
> directly write to Flash without going through the
> TI-OS?

One way to do it:
rewire your 83+ in the inside, the calcs flash is user-inaccessible, from
a software only point of view....
sorry to disappoint you

> > > 3. Why is there no FlashApp shell for the TI-73?
> > Or is
> > > there and it's not on ticalc.org? (I had one a
> > couple
> > > years ago in school, which is why I'm asking.)
> >
> >   perhaps it's not a thing mostly needed, If I
> > remember correctly,
> >   the 73 can't normally execute assembly programs,
> > just flash-apps
> >   (or am I totally wrong here)
> >   most shells provide extra functionality for
> > asm-programs, unless they're
> >   crap, so, it's probably not needed
> What Jimmy Pardey said: The app executes assembly code
> stored in a program.

well then: start making such a shell for it ;-)

> > > 4. I can't remember :-) Ah well, I'll ask when I
> > do.
>

> =====
> "The consequences of our actions are always so complicated,
> so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult
> business indeed." -Albus Dumbledore

mwah, there should be at least a chance of 1/(10^133) of a working
prediction.... oh that's right, at 1/(10^50) mathematicions consider it
impossible ;-)

Follow-Ups: References: