[A83] Re: email virus stuff

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: email virus stuff

Jimmy Pardey writes:
> ok, I know klez is getting old, but does anyone know a peter@ds98.com,
> because if you do, you probably have one of those email adress
> spoofing worms. I think it would be rather hard to send an email
> virus through hotmail (I do not use outlook express or anything)

You should learn how things work.  Those viruses spoof the sender.  They
also get the recipients from your address book and your IE cache.  That is
why you get viruses from people you do not know.

The only way to track down the sender is to look at the headers.  The
Received headers can tell you what ISP it came from.  In most cases, that is
as far as you can get.  AOL mail servers add an X-Apparently-From header
that lists the email address of the real sender.  You can send your abuse
reports to that address.  For everything else, use SpamCop.net to determine
the correct abuse addresses.

If you don't like getting viruses, setup a filter on your mail server or
filter your incoming mail.  Until ISP's wake up and start taking
responsibility, we will continue to receive viruses.

--
David Phillips <david@acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/