[A83] Re: Multi-directional scrolling

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Multi-directional scrolling

> Well, I am wondering how you would set something up like that if you have
> large area.   How do you store the data for which tile goes where?
>
> At 01:54 PM 5/12/2002 -0700, you wrote:

The idea behind tilemaps is to have a "matrix", if you will, of one byte
values that can be translated into sprites.  Say a $00 means a blank sprite,
a $01 means a sprite of a road, a $02 means a sprite of grass, $03 means a
sprite of water etc.  When you are drawing a tilemap, you read through the
values and find the appropriate sprites and display them.  Depending on the
size of the sprites, you can get the maps cut in size anywhere from 8-16
times.  Usually tilemaps are done with 8x8 sprites on the 83(+), so a one
screen tilemap would be 12x8 or 96 bytes long, as opposed to 768 bytes for
the full picture.

I know tilemaps have been discussed often in this list.  Try looking in the
A83 archive at ticalc.org
- - Joe

joe@joepnet.com