[A83] Re: [OT] Squatter practices (was Re: A couple ...)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: [OT] Squatter practices (was Re: A couple ...)

I'm curious as to what kind of domains the squatters register.
I recon' it'd be a relatively used domain, since they would be paying
quite a fee (well, $35 may not be much, but if you spend it a lot of times
without any profit it'd be much) for a potentially useless domain...

And, eh, how do they know what domains are useful to register and are
going to exire, or do they have a computer that's running around the
clock, trying to use "whois" on every imaginable domain name, and records
the ones that're going to expire?

Hmm, perhaps there's a connection between the registrar one uses, and the
chance it's going to be squatted :-)

Also, what are they trying to gain?
Certainly no all squatters are porn pages, so are they trying to sell the
domain to the former owner for some ridiculous price? I thought that kind
of practices where only fruitful last decade?
Else, they micht be wanting to draw people to see their advertisements,
but arent'n those people so annoyed that the page they wanted to visit no
longer exists, that they won't pay attention to the pages.

Anyway, perhaps there should be a set price, like $50 for buying a domain
from another within a few weeks from the squatting.

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, David Phillips wrote:
> expire, then register it elsewhere.  That doesn't work, because as shown by
> this example, it was registered by domain squatters.  Never screw with
> VeriSign (formerly Network Solutions).  If your domain is going to expire
> within six weeks (possibly twelve to be safe) or less, renew it with your
> current registrar, and then transfer it.  Apparently, VerSign "locks" the
> domain name, preventing transfer, if it is going to expire within that
> period.  And of course, they likely have deals with companies such as this
> one that purchase expired domain names, so that they get them first.
>
> Again, never mess around with VeriSign, if you care at all about your
> domain.  Even if you don't really care about it, do you want it registered
> by someone who will use it for porn advertisements?  I use directNIC.com for
> all my registrations.  They are cheap and run by competent people.  They are
> the best domain registrar I have ever used, and offer a lot of nice
> features.

Follow-Ups: References: