[A83] Re: ZPic83 compression

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: ZPic83 compression

>!!! You said: horizontal line, but maybe you could get a better compression
>by compressing vertical lines (for example with a pic that consists of
>vertical black and white lines)
>I think the only solution for this is trying both (vertical and horizontal)
>methods and after that comparing the size of the two files.

Horozontial, vertical..   i always get the two mixed up.  I think i was
using the one i was talking about ;)

Writing both is a good idea to check sizes.  but a vertical one would also
be much larger..

>So you waste a byte on 5 bits? (your example)
I mean in the end that your 5 bits is compressed into 3, only saving 2.  I
was thinking of trying to merge the special byte and the run length byte
somehow but im pretty sure thats useless..

>I use a pixel-per-pixel RLE encoding for my pics, with this method you get
>very little or no overhead at all if you have many places with over eight
>pixels
>of the same kind in succession.
Only problem with this way is that, for random pictures (ones with no runs),
it would increase the size of thje picture

-Nat

Follow-Ups: References: