[A83] Re: Grey scale(and enterlacing, is that the right wordfor it?)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, David Phillips wrote:

> I think there is more than just total timing that determines how the
> grayscale looks.  Aaron Curtis spent a while experimenting with it on the
> 86.  I don't know what he came up with, but he did a lot with sequences.  If
> I had either of my calcs with me, I'd play around with it.

That's an interesting idea.  I can't wonder just what kind of sequences
would have to be used to get a different result with the same total time,
and if they really could work without any flickering and for a display
that is rapidly updated.

However, it seems to me that (with the sequence you gave) the overall
patterns is the same for the two colors.  For example, 121213 gives

off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on ... for plane 1 only and
on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off ... for planes 2 & 3 only

so the pattern put into a pixel looks about the same, but it only shifted
in time a small amount.  I suppose this could interact with the rest of
the screen in some way, but ignoring the specific values in the rest of
the pixels, it's hard to see how it would be different.  And I think the
same conclusion comes with the other pattern too.