[A83] Re: assembly-83 Digest V2 #26 [OT(bis)]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: assembly-83 Digest V2 #26 [OT(bis)]

What is "bis"?

I trust Outlook Express enough to use it on a daily basis.  Sure Microsoft
products have security problems, but they have enough people using them that
any hole will be publicized soon enough, and they will have a patch out for
it.  I like the interface, and it does a good job.  I haven't found a mail
client that I liked more.

I've only seen one hole that would infect your system without you doing
something stupid.  Outlook express doesn't automatically open attachments.
I have preview disabled, because I find it annoying, not for security
reasons.  There is a bug with the version that comes with Windows 2000
Professional, that appears to be some weird MIME problem, that causes just
opening an email (not the attachment) to automatically run the attachment.
It is easy to fix by upgrading to SP2.  Installing all service packs and
updates is something you should do anytime you install Windows.

People can complain about Microsoft all they want.  That's fine.  Use Linux
or BSD.  But I don't think the open source community will ever be able to
make a nicer desktop than Microsoft or Apple, simply because there isn't any
direction.  They will forever argue about the color of the bikeshed.