[A83] Re: extra storage

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: extra storage

> A driver program would work for the storage of a bunch of little programs
> on the device, as you don't have to waste sectors so badly.  For bigger
> programs though, like eBooks (With external storage, you could put them on
> an 83!) or big RPGs (Narkeman, etc.), the driver takes up[ precious
> space.  Perhaps a two-mode controller on the storage device, so that it
> can communicate in the high-speed, verbose mode of the driver or the basic
TI
> calc-to-calc protocol. If the special protocol were made close enought to
> the TI protocol, then the TI one could be made a subset of the special
> protocol.  Having the driver is mainly helpful with a bunch of little
> stuff anyway, as that when you want to see a listing of program names and
stuff.

As far as I understand, getting variables to the external storage is not the
problem, getting them back to the calc is, right? How about a (small) driver
that manually sends a command to the storage? The storage could then use
the silent link protocol (tell the calc it's the graphlink) to place
programs on
the calc. This way, TI-OS would do most of the work, leaving extra ram for
the user.

Just my two cents,
Rob van Wijk