[A83] Re: Color Calculators

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Color Calculators

Why would loading your own software on your own calc be illegal?   If I put
linux on my computer, is M$ going to hunt me down b ecause the machine came
with Windows?  Or if I flash my system BIOS with an image not released  by
ASUS/Tyan/etc, will they hunt me down for that?  When I use a clock unlock
on my Athlon, will AMD have hissy fit?  Wh en we  buy TI calcs, we are
purchasing a piece of hardware and a license to some software that happens
to  run very well on it.  If I choose to discard said license, what's the
problem?  What if  I do the patching on a  boat 12 miles from  the
coast?  Or is possession of a patched calc like drugs?  Come on!

At 02:24 PM 12/5/2002 +0100, you wrote:

> > speaking of discoveries, how's the calcos hack progressing?
> >

>You could read the DS forum (slightly over 200 posts) at
>http://www.detachedsolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=240&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0.
>The
>alternative
>is reading the short version, two lines down ;)
>
>Basically, the calc should only accept a new OS after the
>verification of a digital signature, but Michael found a way
>to make it load any OS.
>
>There were two projects, one an entirely new OS, written
>from scratch by Michael Vincent, the other was a hack, a
>modified version of the real TI-OS. Somehow TI found out
>about the latter and got a bit angry; their legal department
>sent Michael a mail telling him to forget about it.
>
>If Michael would release his OS, he'd have to tell the world
>how to load it. After that, loading a "patched" OS would be
>relatively easy. Even if Michael's "OS from scratch"-project
>isn't illegal, patching an official (copyrighted) rom *is*. TI
>won't let Michael release his (legal) OS, afraid that it would
>trigger the release of illegal roms.
>
>Long story even shorter: it's discontinued, probably forever.
>
>Hope this shed some light,
>Rob van Wijk
>
>--
>+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more  http://www.gmx.net +++
>NEU: Mit GMX ins Internet. Rund um die Uhr für 1 ct/ Min. surfen!

Follow-Ups: References: