[A83] Re: Compression update

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Compression update

> Van: Darren <qarnos@dingoblue.net.au>
>
> Anyway, some of the features I am implementing in the 'proper' library
> are:
> [..]
> 3) 'buffer collision' detection and hopefully repair!
>     This is for people who want to be tricky. You could, for instance,
> set the output pointer to say, 64 bytes behind the input pointer. This
> would save lots of memory, but a problem will occur if the output
> pointer 'catches up' to the input pointer.

Uhm, you said that LZSS can maximaly have a 'non-compressionrate' of
112.5%. So just calc you offset...

But I get your point. You probably want to squize more out if it ;-)

> 4) dynamic buffer width
>     This one is a bit iffy. It would make feature 1 fairly redundant by
> dynamically adapting the buffer width to the input. It would probably do
> wonders for compression, but may bloat the library a bit.

For the Ti83+ App maybe? And would the DEcompressor bloat also? Since there
is also something as compressing on your PC. But people might not like it
if on-calc compression is worse than PC-sided.

> Hmmm.... 3am. Time for.... what's that thing called again?.. dinner?..
> no... oh that's it! SLEEP! Ahhh... it's been too long :P

Well, it has been for a nobel work :-)

	Henk Poley <><