[A83] Re: Linux compiling

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Linux compiling

You can use TASM on Linux.  It's very old, so you'll need a copy of libc4.
You can find this stuff at Joe Wingbermuehle's page:

http://joewing.calc.org/calc/linux.shtml

I use Debian, so I can't install RPM's directly, and the RPM on that page
didn't work with alien (RPM to DEB converter).  So I found a Debian package
of libc4 from an old release, installed it, and TASM ran fine.

Since you like Blackbox, you might try using Debian, as it's more suited to
power users than Mandrake.  Blackbox is definitely nice, especially if you
don't do much GUI stuff besides xterms (I use the GNOME terminal with
Blackbox).  themes.org has some cool Blackbox themes.  Mail me privately if
you want some good ones that I hacked to work better.  If you use XMMS, you
might check the xdisc program on my homepage, as it has a script to make it
integrate XMMS with Blackbox nicely.  Linux is cool, but it takes a lot of
tweaking to get it how you like it.

Anyway, regarding TASM on Linux, I got bored a while ago and started on
OpenTASM.  It was intended to be an open reimplementation of TASM.  I got
busy with work and other things and haven't quite finished it.  Now that
they finally fixed bison with C++ in Debian, I'll try to get it done
sometime soon.  It should be much faster than any other assembler, can be
dropped into programs that need an assembler, and most importantly, it's
free.

> Hi, everyone!  I just converted to Linux (running Mandrake 8.2 with
> Blackbox, really didn't care for KDE or Gnome)
>
> Moving on, I want to be able to compile ASM files and APPS on Linux
> box... I'm pretty sure it was Hyperbyte that got the 0104 key ported to
> Linux, but what compiler should I use?

Follow-Ups: References: