[A83] Re: Symbolic... [OT]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Symbolic... [OT]

yes this is all correct :)
except that we need to only do 150 hours of CAS (not computer algebra
system, but Creative Action Service hours :) )

I'm doing this year all six :( couldn't anticipate...
HL Physics (mock: 7 :) )
HL Chem (mock: 4 sucks but it was a bad day! I was sick)
HL Math (mock: 4 I think.. but it was somewhat very hard, and that year the
IB had changed the gradings :)
SL Economics (BTW HL have 8 instead of 5 commentaries...)
SL French (being french I should get a 7)
SL English (I suck in literature.. so hopefully a 5-6) :)

> [...]
>and now...);
>you have to prepare portfolio (set of a few little
>projects on various topics
>
>Group 4: laboratory reports (can be a pain) - this
>is actually the portfolio; a special big project
>called "Group 4 Project" which results in a grand
>lab report. It means that people who chose different
>G4 subjects work together on a big project (measurements,
>experiments), we have to prepare and plan everything
>on our own, and organise the division of labour
>between physicists, biologists and chemists. Great fun...
>
>Economics: portfolio (5 commentaries on articles) and
>oral commentary presentations in front of your group
>
>History: 3000 word Guided Coursework, lots of essays
>during the two years
>
>I don't know of the others...
>
> > + I suppose that your grades of the year are added to the
> >    grade of the big examination. How?
>
>Important: your grades acquired throughout the two
>years have NO EFFECT on your final IB diploma grade.
>This is an unbiased system: only about 25 percent
>of your grade is given by your teacher. Another
>25 percent is partially given by your teacher for
>your written assignments (portfolio), but these are
>submitted to the IBO and they moderate the precentages
>(e. g. if they find that a teacher is too harsh, they add
>a multiplier of 1.1). 50 percent comes from the written
>final exams, which are evaluated by other IB teachers all
>over the world, who don't know any of you. (I think
>our English exams were evaluated in Mexico...)
>
>Somehow they calculate a percentage, which is converted
>into a final grade:
>
>85-100=7; 70-84=6; 55-69=5; 45-55=4; 30-44=3; 15-29=2
>and below 15=1
>
>The final diploma will be awarded a score with a maximum
>of 45. This is the sum of your grades plus a combined
>value of your ToK essay (1500 words philosophy) and
>Extended Essay (4000 words on ANY subject you choose, but
>you have to connect it to an IB subject; e. g. I wrote
>an essay about a mathematical model to simulate the
>reconnaissance process of worker bees, and claimed the
>essay to be in mathematics). This value ranges from 0 to 3.
>
>I. e. 6*7+3=45. There are only a few (probably below ten)
>students each year scoring 45.
>
> > + Have you also to do a kind of project before to be
>allowed
> >    to the big examination?
>
>You can consider the extended essay to be such a project.
>However, you shouldn't put too much emphasis on it as
>it only determines a part of the extra 3 points.
>
>And you have to do 180 hours of CAS (extracurricular
>activities ranging from sports, creative activity like arts
>to doing some kind of service like library assistance
>or helping handicapped people)
> >
> > A really buch of questions, huh? I hope I don't annoy
>you... :)
>
>I hope I could be informative enough. :)
>Anyone discovering wrong information should correct me.

BTW for some better organised info you can drop a