[A83] Re: Symbolic... [OT]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Symbolic... [OT]

> then find it particularly easy to do it without the
calculator, maybe the
> fact that I wrote it imprints the procedure in my
brain... but some things
> are still just quicker with calcs...

Well, I think it's just inconvenient to do vectorial
products on paper, even if it's not that hard to do.

> IB... the deadliest thing ever...
Thinking about it, it was actually two years of holiday,
especially the first year when you don't have to do any
work that is submitted to IB (except for the lab
reports)... I always hated that maths was so low level,
despite the fact that I took the "high level" course, and
one of the options was abstract algebra... University is
fortunately much more of a spiritual challenge. :)

> As PG has said... not only is it hard, but it's long, the
time they give
> you... 5 hours seems long, but is actually very little
for what they ask you
> to do...
The maths part wasn't hard but the physics paper two... The
first exercise was the error analysis (!) of a lab report.
I just realised I'm running out of time after half an hour
so I skipped it. The only really messy thing about the
maths exam was a damn misprint in the middle of a formula,
it just took about 20% of my time away to find out that not
me but IB was wrong...

> more than 50% on our first mock :( It so hard that 50% is
a C, and some
> years 34% is still a C !!
Hmm, I think letters are only used for the essays...
Subjects are graded from 1 to 7.

> This is just to say that there is no (nearly.. if you are
a genius then
> that's another story!) way you are going to finish the
whole thing with 100%
> correct answers...
Painfully true... But it's quite possible to achieve if you
work with your own calc programs.

> that Symbolic was banned (harsh word!) :( because any
type CSA (I wonder why
> IB changes CAS to CSA and built-in to inbuilt :) isn't
allowed.

That's just a logical step from IB. But I don't think they
could really do anything against it.

PG

Follow-Ups: References: