[A83] Re: microcode

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: microcode

At 10:05 PM 9/17/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>If I was to get a new computer, I would not want an updgradeable microcode
>CPU, because it is possible (unlikely but possible) that some hacker would
>give me an unsoliceted update. So far, I have got 3 viruses over cable in
>less than a month (my first month), and they are all internet worms, not
>trojans!

Updating microcode is probably a complex process, that cannot be easily
done by software running on said processor.  The worst I've heard of is one
that flashes your BIOS with garbage, then reboots.  The only way I can
think of that a processor could contro lthe operation to recode itself
wouldbe if there were two processors, and most people aren't that rich . . .

OT: Firewalls are a good thing if you have cable.  I use one with dial-up
so that apps don't keep wasting hours.

Follow-Ups: References: