[A83] Re: keyboard mem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: keyboard mem

No, not at all.  The PC keyboard is a clocked serial interface, similiar to
most other serial devices.  You don't have to deal with this when
programming for a PC, because the PC has hardware to read the keyboard and
generate the scan codes.  I'm sure someone has worked out a keyboard
interface for a calc, but I don't remember one offhand.  You'd need a PIC or
something similiar to read the keyboard, because you couldn't just hook it
up to the calc.  There was a presentation this year at DEF CON about a
simple microcontroller kit, and the example application was to interface
with a keyboard.  There were some cool ideas, like capturing keys in
hardware.  Unfortunately, they still don't have archives up for this year,
and I don't remember the name of the kit (should have taken better notes).

I'm sure with a little searching on Google you can find some hardware to do
it.  Also, check out this FAQ:

http://www.arne.si/~mauricio/Kbdfaq.htm

> Does a PC keyboard have a piece of mem where the pressed
> keys are stored, so the software just checks that mem
> to see there was a keypress??

Follow-Ups: References: