[A83] Re: Printed sdk83guide.pdf

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Printed sdk83guide.pdf

Hmm, maybe I should put my copy up on ebay :)

I got one for free from TI a couple of years ago along with a TI-83+ for
being part of the SDK beta team.  You might try calling TI and see if
they offer printed versions.

I just dug around in my closet and found the box.  The last page number
is 556.  The footer at the bottom has "Not for Distribution" underlined
in bold in the middle, and on the right it is labeled "Beta Version
August 11, 1999".  The front cover labels it "Revision 0.2".  Yes, I
know I'm not using proper grammer by not placing the last punctuation
symbol inside the quotes, but according to the jargon file, that's
normal :)

Even when I did a little 83+ programming, I don't think I used the
printed documentation.  To me, it's much easier to have it all online,
where it's indexed and searchable.  It's faster to type something in and
go to immediately, or just click on it, rather than finding the proper
page.  Sure, for some things books are good, and whenever I have easy
access to a printer, my desk seems to be cluttered with random printouts
from whatever I'm programming.  But in general, for me, printed API
documentation is not usually useful, if it is available online in a
usable format.  And when it's online, it tends to be more up to date.

That said, I miss the days when programs actually came with
documenation.  Does anyone remember when getting a compiler meant
getting a stack of books big enough to fill half a shelf on a bookcase?
Maybe it keeps software prices down, but it also makes a lot of
companies lazy.  I would have really liked printed books for Watcom
C/C++, but the printed books cost more than the compiler.

I absolutely despise documentation coming in only PDF format.  If you
want to print it, then it's great.  Otherwise, it's next to worthless.
HTML documenation is much easier to use online.

> Where did you get that printed?  I got mine printed and the lowest price I
> could find for the 600 some pages was about 50 dollars.

Follow-Ups: References: