[A83] Re: Changing number of free mem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Changing number of free mem

Hmm, yes maybe, but the VAT start address is fixed (FE6Eh on 83-). So if you change the end pointers to FE6Eh, it should work. One side effect is that each variable type then seems to take up 0 bytes. In reality this isn't the case. This can be partially overcome by changing those pointers to some lower address, because the first entries are (probably) such permanent system vars. Permanent programs like prgm! and prgm# aren't detected then.

> From: Peter-Martijn Kuipers <hyper@hysoft-automation.com>
>
> I don't think so, if you point the pointer to some other space, with for
> example all zeroes, it will not calculate the entries in the vat because it
> thinks it's looking at an empty vat. It will just say 0000 bytes used, 24...
> ka free.
>
> if you then repoint the pointer to the original vat, it's as you left it.

> > Yes, but then you can have things like 26K of free ram and 20K of programs.

> > > From: Henk Poley <HPoley@DDS.nl>

> > > Well there are off coarse some pointers to the 'end of VAT' and 'end of
> > > variables', you might be able to create an interrupt program that as soon
> > > as somebody enters the 'Mem free-menu' it backups the old values and
> > > writes the new ones, so it's like you have all memory free... (and vice
> > > versa after exiting the menu)
> > >
> > > 	Henk Poley <><
Mail.be, Free WebMail and Virtual Office
http://www.mail.be