[A83] Re: Delays and grayscales

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Delays and grayscales

Greyscale on the TI83s, using that way, is very difficult. When your batteries run out you will see the flicker getting worse and and things will look terrible. That's because on the 83, keeping the update frequency (almost) constant is very difficult. Updating the screen is done "manually". We have to use the Z80, which speed highly depends on the battery status. On the 86 on the other hand, the lcd is updated by an external device, which speed is rather constant, resulting in consistent timings and nice greyscale.
So when you get a clean picture on the 83, it's mostly just luck. Put in other batteries and things look different. This explains why your second example looks worse even though it's faster and should look better.

To reduce the flicker, you can use interlacing. Instead of displaying 1 picture and then the other, you display a part of the first and a part of the second at the same time. Next cycle, you display other parts. RIGView (83+) uses interlacing. It displays 2 bytes of the first screen, 1 of the second, 2 of the 1st,... The result is better, though not good enough. You don't have any flicker anymore, but instead you have, what's called, an interlacing effect.

Just a few weeks ago, I attempted to improve RIG so it would be usable in games (RIG 's just a picture viewer). I putted things in an interrupt routine, optimized,..(that's why I asked interrupt questions then).. But most importantly, instead of interlacing with bytes, I interlace with pixels. The result is very good. No flicker, and the interlacing effect is almost unnoticeable. The problem however is, that it eats processor power. The calculator runs *very* slow. (That's why I didn't release it yet.) So it's probably not usable in games that require a lot of speed (racing, Phoenix,..). Platform games might work out, but that's questionnable. If I find some time I might try it out.

And ow, it only works on the 83-. It seems that the interrupt speed on the 83+ is way too fast.

--Tijl Coosemans