[A83] DevHelp App

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] DevHelp App

Thread #2:

I've been looking at creating an application that serves as a debugging
server - sorta like a dual monitor setup on PCs. If you're developing an
application, you can put in specialized debug code that will dump register
information and stuff like that to another calculator running my application
(tentatively titled DevHelp)...there would be a simple log function etc.
Now, I know there's the FlashSim but this is an additional debugging tool.

Another idea I've got is a client-side application that reads debug
information that the application writes as an AppVar. So your application
has debug code in it that dumps the registers to an AppVar several times
(snapshots). You then exit your application, run DevHelp and it reads the
AppVars and displays the various snapshots for you.

I've just put together a sort of framework (no actual working code yet!) so
I'm wondering:

   - If anyone will find it useful.
   - If anyone has made anything - am I reinventing the wheel?
   - What other features would you want?

Remember, there can't be too much debugging info, since it all has to be
transmitted over the linkport, and unless you're using a SE with its DBus
assist, it will slow things down a fair bit.

- James Matthews
Generation5: http://www.generation5.org/
"...At the forefront of Artificial Intelligence..."