[A83] Re: Special ram areas?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Special ram areas?

> Van: Ronald Teune <RTWolf@gmx.net>
> Datum: vrijdag 2 november 2001 9:33

Hey, may mailserver is getting alife, it seems. Strange to find 'new' mails
from 3 days back when you have checked your mail yesterday (and the day
before)...

> > > CRC routine? Ah well, here you have one (dunno about the speed). You
> > > probably want to put the _CRCByte routine into the loop of
> > _CRCBlock...
> >
> > Nice routine!
>
> Yes indeed. BUt now there's one problem left. If I want to check
> something, I have to know where it is, what I want to check. Since apps
> dont't use write-back, I need another location for this that's 'quite'
safe.
> And if it's not entirely safe, the font will just be distorted a bit, and
can
> be resolved by running the app again. Henk Poley said I could use the
> stack, but I think that it's not the safest place to store a pointer, or
do
> you mean another stack, Henk?

I do mean the system stack (the one the the SP pointing to it)...

You can safely use about 100 bytes, and that should be more than enough.
Maybe Tijl C. can tell you more, since he has experiance with "stack
overflows" (I think).

It's quite safe, the only time I get into troubles is when I run huge C
compiled programs (talking about Venus programs, NB), most of the time
caused by the compiler that allocates all (local) variables on the stack...

Don't shout "Now you see that it's a bad compiler!" (okay it is, but not
because of this). Most Z80 platforms have >2kb stack space, 400 bytes is
really low... Certain routines (like the 'filler' graphical routine) needed
to be 'cut down' for stackspace allocation because of the Ti's. They didn't
had a single problem on all the other 15 ports...

	Henk Poley <><