[A83] Re: Compression

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Compression

In accordance with the prophecy, David Phillips uttered:

> An algorithm that can compress anything is mathematically impossible.

A proof would be nice, although I'm sure you're right.

> "It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because
> there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in.  However, not every
> one of them is inhabited.  Therefore, there must be a finite number of
> inhabited worlds.  Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to
> nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all planets in the
> Universe can be said to be zero.  From this it follows that the population
> of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from
> time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination."

This argument is a load of dingo's kidneys. =) For instance, if you have an
infinite number of worlds, and not every one of them is inhabited, it doesn't
mean that there are a finite number of inhabited worlds. What if half of them
are inhabited?

> > does anyone know about _any_ compression program?

I use compression in Stranded, the source code of which is available at my
homepage. There's a C program for compressing and a Z80 asm routine for
decompressing, and that asm routine doesn't need an extra buffer. You just tell
it where the compressed data is, and where to put the uncompressed stuff. These
two areas can't overlap, though.

Linus
Paranoia:  A healthy understanding of the nature of the universe.

Follow-Ups: References: