[A83] Re: TitanASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: TitanASM

In a message dated 5/2/01 8:34:59 PM Central Daylight Time, Sk8a4good@aol.com
writes:

> Good Luck on TitanASM.  I was responding to Steve Watson saying it will be
> the greatest app ever.  The source files will be stored in the FlashROM?
> Will they be stored in the app or as a new prog?  It seems that creating a
> new flashrom prog would cause a lot of writeback.
>
> -Cole South

The source files will be separate external programs, often backed up into the
archive, and the compiled programs will be separate programs created in Ram
that wont be archived unless done manually. The source data cannot be stored
to the app because the app remains in archive and cant be written to.  I
suppose there might be a lot of writeback, but I will try to come up with a
good system to do the rearchiving infrequently but still keep the source
protected.  When you are typing code, that is done in Ram, but source will be
backed up before major events like compiling the program for execution, and
quitting the app; also perhaps before entering one of the external utility
programs that must be executed in Ram. For the utility code/data (such as a
sprite editor), Ram space needs to be freed anyway to accomidate this
program, so the source file will be updated in FlashRom, thus requiring
another Archive to occur. However, if source files are split up into several
small files (maybe 1K each) and all are included in the project file, then
the app wont need to handle and move larger sections of source at once. Thus,
a small enough source file could stay in Ram whenever you are dealing with
utilities, and not have to be rearchived until you decided to quit or build
the program.

-Jason