[A83] Re: Making Commercial apps using the freeware key

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Making Commercial apps using the freeware key

> The unfortunate thing is that commercial apps can be resigned with the
> freeware key. Oops.

Ehmm, the apps I described would be signed with the freeware key.

You enter your calc ID on som online site,
probably afer some payment agreement.

Then the server-side program would encrypt the calculator id and put it at the
end of the unsigned application (HEX format).

The server-side program would then sign the application with the freeware key,
and send the signed app to the requester, who then has a custom application
with his own calculator id embedded inside.

If he runs it, some code inside the app, decrypts the embedded calc id,
and compares it to the actual calc id, after which it decides to continue,
or not. (actually, it could do much different things if the id doesn't match,
think of memory or archive resets :-)

If one would remove the signing from the app, resulting in the pure hex code,
the calculator ID would still be inside, and since it is encrypted,
he would have a very hard time changing it, so it's not a simple re-signing
to check the calc id. (Disassembling isn't very productive, if you code it sneaky, [i suspect])

(same process could be used in normal programs)

Only problem is, how do you retrieve the calc ID of the calc that's
currently running it. (It shouldn't be too hard to retrieve, if I remember
correctly, there is even a romcall for).

Follow-Ups: References: