[A83] Re: Z88DK vs. SDCC

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Z88DK vs. SDCC

>I'd volunteer, although the Z88DK documentation seems to make it clear that
>they don't expect to add source optimization ever. Part of the reason for

We've already started discussing this topic. Dominic is aware of the
difficult task which will expect us when implementing compiler
optimization. And I think the tone is reflected on the z88dk homepage.
Nevertheless he gave green light, so we'll work out how to do this soon.
Still that's nothing more or less than saying we're at the beginning and it
could take some time. (Still don't want to join?)

>this is probably that it isn't quite as easy as it first appears -- take the
>code I posted earlier with k = i * j -- optimizing that isn't exactly
>trivial.

Sure, but the example itself is not representative enough. Bigger programs
may make the difference between both compilers less obvious ...

>The question might be asked if it wouldn't be easier to start a compiler
> >from (almost) scratch (probably use the GNU preprocessor at least), or to
>port GCC.

I'd opt for implementation of gcc specific optimization techniques. I'm not
sure, as I haven't looked very closely at gcc (except compiling code with
it), but I bet it is laid out for 32-bit, so this won't be any good for the
Z80.
Can anybody clarify these gcc-specific topics (especially if it really is
32-bit only)?

MaV

Follow-Ups: References: