[A83] Re: What is the problem with flash writes (in general)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: What is the problem with flash writes (in general)

Simply put, no user-program can do it.

Explanation:
The flash chip has a "write enabled" line,
only if this line has specific signal, one can write to the flash

Now one could simply set this signal, if TI hadn't prevented that,
they've somehow made it only possible for certain OS Rompages to
set that value.

(I think it's kinda obsolete now, since TI's released the app signing key,
but I doubt they'll insert _FlashWE and _FlashWD romcalls in new OS'es)

You could hardware hack that WE line, but then your program wouldn't be distributable...

--(Peter-Martijn)

> Not really that no one has been able to do them in their programs, but the
> fear of failure.
>
> "Minimum 1,000,000 program/erase cycles per sector guarantead" -Am29F400B.pdf
> (amd's tech doc on it)
>
> Writing to it for everything, would be a hazard, but having programs do
> write-back to the flash for storage, shouldn't hurt at all. (if we could do
> it)
>

> Just my .02USD
> James L.

Follow-Ups: References: