From: assembly-83-bounce@lists.ticalc.org
[mailto:assembly-83-bounce@lists.ticalc.org]On Behalf Of Dan Englender
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 10:49 AM
To: assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org
Subject: [A83] Re: What is the problem with flash writes (in general)

Well, the reason MirageOS stores it's AppVar in archive instead of in RAM is
so settings, etc. are not erased if the RAM is reset.  And AppVars are just
like any other variable on the calc, any program can create them.  If you
want, you can turn a program into an appvar (or vice versa) by changing the
type byte in the VAT.

The nice part about write-back as opposed to external data files is that if
you want to delete the program, you only have to worry about one file.  I've
seen peoples' calculators with MirageOS, but they still have a bunch of Ion
modules, and they have breakout and diamonds levels, but not the actual
games.  Of course, with applications you don't have any choice, but for
programs it's often nicer to have things internal: high scores, settings,
and the like (excepting some things, like the password example you
mentioned).  Of course, to a point, it's all a matter of preference.

-Dan Englender