Re: A83: Calling all great programmers, Again!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Calling all great programmers, Again!!

>From: Gabriel Hughes <ghughes@clipper.jbhs.wi.k12.md.us>
>To: assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org
>Subject: A83: Calling all great programmers, Again!!
>Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 21:15:06 -0500 (EST)
>

>Now please read all of this mail message before sending me your lazy
>mail.  I admit I have looked at some tutorials and I've tried to start
>programing but something I will need to know and that my tutorials don't
>tell me are that things listed below.
>
>1) How do I get on program I run to create another program, like the way
>running Ion creates A and /theta/Ion.

Look at the source code to ION, it's really complitcated because it needs to
be installed.

>2) What's the difference between programing for an assembly shell and just
>programing in assembly.

When you program for a shell you get shell features like:
* relocation (program always runs from same place)
* writeback (save high scores inside program!)
* libraries (nice routines like ionFastCopy, ionPutSprite...)
* run it from a nice menu!

Without a shell you must write those things and a loader and everything.

>3) If there is a difference to 2), then could someone show me the code I'd
>need to write my programs for Ion or Mirage.(If possible I'd like both
>codes.)

MirageOS can run almost all ION programs, but only if they begin with ret?
(someone should fix that bug and allow XOR A programs to run!)

>4) I'm also suicidal(in a figurative sense!!).  How would I make my own
>shell?  Is the code any different?  To all of you shell writers out there
>don't get my wrong I don't want to be competition, it's just that I want
>to learn how to do it myself.

Shells have to do stuff that involves copying a small loader module to free
ram and load programs and back again...

>5) Does anybody have a good tutorial for any of the above that will fit on
>a floppy disk!!

You could always look at the source code to IceClimb, my second game.

http://www.google.com/ ?