[A83] Re: TI-83+ Silver Edition = Gameboy

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: TI-83+ Silver Edition = Gameboy

You all are condemning this as impossible but there is no need to
emulate ALL of the instructions, just the added ones... ever heard of
virtualization? Basically, you let all the instructions that ok to be
run, run... and all the ones that are not ok, you emulate. So in this
case, any memory access would need to be virtualized, and all the added
instructions. Simple! And this overcomes the speed problems noted in the
other email since the other was complete emulation on a 68k chip... this
is unneeded on this processor since they are plenty of native
instructions that can be run... Also, 24k of ram, AFIAK, is enough to do
this. The biggest downfall will be emulating the hardware. The graphics
hardware and all the memory mapped I/Os...

ComAsYuAre@aol.com wrote:

> There is a fundamental problem in your basic assumption -- the gameboy is NOT
> a z80 chip.  It's similar, but has many instructions missing (ldir, cpir,
> ix/iy, shadow registers, etc) and many new instructions as well (ldi a,(hl),
> swap a, etc).  Thus emulation would be a huge pain since the cpu would
> actually have to be emulated as well.
>

> In a message dated 2/24/01 2:56:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> gardenerbm@netzero.net writes:
>

>> With the advent of the TI-83 Plus silver, could someone write a gameboy
>> emulator for it?  Look what the 83+ could do:
>>
>> (I am assuming the gameboy has a z80 chip in it)
>>
>> Advantages:
>>
>> -83+ silver has room for one 8-megabit game, two 4-megabit games, or eight
>> 1-megab
it games!

--
Scott "Wrath" Dial