[A83] Re: Grey scale(and enterlacing, is that the right word for it?)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Grey scale(and enterlacing, is that the right word for it?)

VTI does grayscale by cheating.  It does not support grayscale on the 82
line of calcs.  It watches for the video ram port being switched, and if
it's in a grayscale pattern, it displays grayscale.

My idea for better emulating it is to simulate the LCD effect of pixels
fading out over time.  It should be easy to code.  Every pixel has a gray
value, that decreases every emulator frame, if the pixel is not on.  If done
correctly, this should simulate grayscale, and the blur effect that some
games such as Galaxian create.

Oh, and it's "interlacing".

> Have you tried it on a real calculator? Because VTI displays grey when it
> detects that a pixel is being turned on and off quite fast. Using the
> technique I proposed, that sometimes gives wrong results. On a real
> calulator however, it may display better.

Follow-Ups: References: