[A83] Re: CPL, UML, Oberon

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: CPL, UML, Oberon

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Brandon Sterner wrote:

> Maybe I'm asking the wrong guys, but does any of you
> people now where CPL, UML and Oberon are primarily used
> for? I'm going to a university in Antwerp (Belgium) in
> 1.5 years and at their site they mention these programming
> languages. But I do not know what they would be used for.

Oberon is a fairly typical, though not widely used, object-oriented
programming language for general use.  It was designed by the same person
who designed Modula-2 and Pascal.  Both the design style and details of
the language are quite similar and Oberon code looks about like Pascal
code.  It could be used for any sort of general program, just like Java or
C++ actually are used.

The first thing I think of as CPL is a very old language which (among
other things) is an ancestor to C.  While important for historical
reasons, it is hard to imagine that someone (much less a universiry) still
uses it.  Perhaps they just mean regular C and/or C++ but somehow
abbreviated "C Programming Language" as CPL for no particular reason.

But I would guess that this most likely refers to the internal language
used by "Concordance" which is an obscure database program.  Presumably
this is used for manipulating databases, assuming that it is useful at
all.