[A83] BASIC

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] BASIC

> Van: Patai Gergely <patai.ti@freemail.hu>
>
> > And how does basic look like in your eyes?
> Basic is quite useful for programming calculations,
> and it is available in the absence of a computer,
> which is a great advantage over asm. And I still
> haven't mentioned the small size of the progs.
> But I don't really understand why certain routines
> have to be so slow.
> I miss some features like working
> on a virtual screen (which would certainly do
> some good to those hellishly slow pixel operations)

That's called Floating Point. Every time you plot a pixel it needs to
calculate where it should be on the screen... And indeed, Ti should really
have implemented some char/int/double support...

> or being able to use integer or fixed point math
> optimised for speed etc.
> I'm not against basic, if the calculator is used
> for its original purpose. What I am against is
> crappy asm programs that do not consist of anything
> but romcalls...

That's not always a bad thing. Okay, most of the time it means that the
programmer didn't go for speed, but it could also have been some hackerish
styled approach (by using parts of ROM calls to make your program smaller).

btw, somebody might be interested in the current thread at Assembly-86.
It's about making a LISP styled interpreter or compiler.

	Henk Poley <><