From: "Michael Vincent" <hookman@worldnet.att.net>
To: <assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 3:37 PM
Subject: [A83] Re: ports

> I happened to type this up once (83+/SE and no....I haven't included the
timer ports yet):

> It's kind of thrown together sorry.
>
> Port 2
> This is the hardware status port.
> Bit 7 is the hardware type. This bit is reset on a 83+ and set on a SE.
Bit 0 is the battery status. This bit is set if the batts are good and reset
if they are low.

> Port 3
> This is a status port of sorts.
> The lower 3 bits appear to set the interrupt executions speed. If you
disable interrupts, and load the following values, you can adjust the speed
(in order from normal to fastest). 00000110b, 00000100b, 00000010b,
00000000b.

> Port 4
> Bit 3 of this port is reset if the On key is currently pressed down, set
otherwise.

> Port 6 This port controls what is swapped into the 4000-7FFFh area.
Reading from this port will tell you the current page swapped in. Outputting
will set the page swapped in. Any page can be swapped in. See port 7
explanations, it has some stuff that applies here too.

> Port 7 This port controls what's swapped into the 8000h-BFFFh area.
Reading from this port will give the current swapped page (usually a RAM
page, which is denoted by bit 6 being set on a 83+ (bit 7 on a S)..The usual
RAM page swapped in here is page 1. The 83+ has pages 40h-41h for RAM. The
SE has pages 80h-87h for RAM (8 pages - 128K). On the SE valid ROM pages are
00h-7Fh. The high page of the SE archive is 69h, and stuff goes downward
from there, with the last page 08h. On the 83+, 00h-1Fh are the ROM pages.
15h-08h being the user archive/app pages.

> Ports 8,9,A,B,C,D are SE only Port 8 This controls whether the link assist
on the SE is enabled. Setting bit 7 of this port will disable it. I don't
think you can send data normally though even if the link assist is disabled.

> Port 9 This is the status port for the link assist. Read this port and AND
38h. If nonzero flag, then the link assist has a byte in its buffer or is in
the process of receving a byte.

> Port 0Ah When there is a byte in the link assist buffer, it is in port A.
You can read directly from port A, but it's better if you use the ROM's
routines.

> Port 0Dh This is the output port for the link assist. Outputting a byte to
this port will make the link assist send that byte.

> Port 20h This control the speed on the SE. If you read from this port, bit
0 is reset if running at 6 MHz, and set if running at 15 MHz. You can set 6
MHz by outputting 0 to this port, and set 15 MHz by outputting 1.

> Michael Vincent
> Detached Solutions - www.detacheds.com
> Radical Software - www.radicalsoft.org

:-(