[A83] fixed point numbers

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] fixed point numbers

I have a sprite that moves around the screne with a certain speedvector.  So
every frame i have to increase my x and y coordinates using the sinus and
cosinus of that speedvector
Last week i was talking to Crashman, and he told me to do it with a look up
table for sinus and cosinus.  He told me also to work with fixed point
numbers (so i would place the part after the comma in that look up table
(the part before the comma is most of the time zero, so i don't have to put
it in another table)). But i'm not sure how to work with those fixed point
numbers, here's the two options i've come up with (maybe there's a better,
that's way i ask you guys)
1.	Say you have the number 0.531287 as a sinus, then you have to put 53 (if
you want to use 1 byte) or 531 (if you want to use 2 bytes) in that look up
table: so that would be .db ...,53,... ( '...' stands for other values in
the table). Then you recall 53 and put it in h for example, you multiply it
with 3 (for example) and then....?  i think you would have to divide it by
100 and round it so you get an integer ('cause i need integers for my
coordinates for my sprite)  But with this first method, you would still have
a fp number when you divide by 100 and can you put a fp number in a register
to round it? (also is there a routine to round a fp number to an integer?)
2.	A second option would be to just put fp numbers in the table (if that's
possible) so you would get something like this: .db ...,0.531287,...
(This would also be more precise) and then you load that number directly in
a register (ld hl,(sintable+5) for example), but then i have another
problem: how do you multiply a register pair with a certain number? (with
single registers i would use (_htimesl))
      3.  Maybe the third option is for you guys?