[A83] Re: Sprites

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Sprites

"hopelessly out of date"???
"incompatible"???
it may be slow, but not that much slower.  I guarantee you that the other
algorithms are not much faster (ie. no more than a 50% speed increase),
which doesn't account for much.
and what is it incompatible with??? nothing.
the biggest problem people have is not the running time of their sprite
routine, but how they use the sprite routine and when they clear/redraw the
graph buffer.
most people don't realize that almost all the clock cycles are taken up by
"call _grbufcpy_V" etc.

i still use movax's sprite routine because it doesnt make a big difference,
and since the rest of my code works for it, i dont have to modify old code
and can just cut and paste it.
the only time I use a non-aligned sprite routine is to display a character
on screen and to show projectiles.  Unless you are trying to make a game
like phoenix, where 50+ sprites are on the screen, then it doesnt matter.

and if you want to talk about clipping/masking, it is so damn easy to
modify movax's routine to do this.  it takes < 10 mins to add this
functionality.

-harper