Re: A83: Greyscale Help

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Greyscale Help

In a message dated 6/12/00 1:47:17 AM Central Daylight Time,
gte172i@prism.gatech.edu writes:

> i'd like to reply "Look Harder", but i am a nice guy.
>
>  this information is readily available on www.ticalc.org
>  search for "grayscale"
>  or look in 82,83,85,86 asm / misc or graphics directories for grayscale.
>

>  to answer your question, grayscale is best accomplished by maintaing
>  multiple graph buffers and displaying them on top of each other in a timed
>  pattern that is done by the interrupts.  for four level grayscale, 4
>  colors, you would have 2 buffers, the graph_buffer and the apd_buffer, and
>  you would display one buffer, wait a few interrupts, then display the next
>  buffer on top of the previous, then you would clear the graph buffer and
>  do it over again.
>
>  -harper

I'd like to note that Dan Englender and I have exhausted our efforts in
trying to "discover" flickerless grayscale for the 82/83/83+ series during
this past week. We certainly found out that the LCD Driver can handle the
manual updating of the two buffers to the screen, and it turned out to be
flickerless, yet there was some inconsistency with the timing that we beleive
to be a hardware issue, not something we can control well enough through
software. This was to be built into MirageOS, and it worked alright on 83
plus calcs that were made in 02/99 and earlier, but during 03/99 and later,
TI seemed to have changed the hardware and those calcs do not display the
same results that we would have liked. So our efforts have been futile and
nothing stable enough could be acheived. I'll see if we can post the demo we
made that works under ION, but it should show that a Grayscale engine is just
not practical from a visual point of view. It is still possible that programs
could do manual grayscale in small quantities, which involve constantly
XORing a sprite or swapping sprite pictures, and I beleive that would be fast
enough and look good. Other than that, I have given up on the task.=P
...Perhaps back to the subject now of where to find information on grayscale,
the GrayDemo by Bill Nagel and the Chameleon program by Shawn Lindberg are
good places to look, they include their sources and somewhat of developer's
information. Hmm, maybe I should mention I dont want to discourage anyone
else from using a grayscale engine, or perhaps trying to experiment and
"invent" flickerless grayscale. Go for it... :)

Jason_K