Re: A83: Re: UU-encoding

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Re: UU-encoding

In accordance with the prophecy, Bryan Rabeler uttered:

> It takes a binary file and converts it to an ASCII file.  This was useful in the
> old days when they only had text-transfers, not binary.  It's way obsolete now.
>
> > What use is UU-encoding?

In a way you're right. But converting a binary file to an ascii file is not
obsolete - just look at MIME encapsulation in emails.

Linus
           Scotty: Captain, we din' can reference it!
           Kirk:   Analysis, Mr. Spock?
           Spock:  Captain, it doesn't appear in the symbol table.
           Kirk:   Then it's of external origin?
           Spock:  Affirmative.
           Kirk:   Mr. Sulu, go to pass two.
           Sulu:   Aye aye, sir, going to pass two.
                                              -- anonymous fortune
lairfight@softhome.net, visit http://linusworld.cjb.net (PGP key available).

Follow-Ups: References: