RE: A83: OT: Free DSL

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A83: OT: Free DSL

Well, running a web-server isn't quite the same as networking several
systems together through the modem (router?) to use the same line --
that is, sharing bandwidth amongst several systems.  For that, you
have to assign each machine its own IP address, and then you could
mask all of them behind one IP address via NAT for security purposes.
 But if this company only offers you one IP address, then...well,
yeah.  Running a single web-server requires only one IP address, and
so therefore it'd be legal by this company's rules (unless they
impose some sort of ridiculous bandwidth limit).

I *think* it's possible to create fake IPs for all of the computers
that you want to network through this modem, but I've never messed
around with a router to that extent to figure it all out.  (I should
sometime, though =D )

BTW -- I'm late to this, but (x)DSL comes in several flavors.  The
one that's popular now is ADSL (asymmetric digital subscriber line);
indicating different upload/download speeds; the one that I'm using
is SDSL (symmetric digital subscriber line) which -- you guessed it
- -- has the same upload/download speed.

There are a few more, but I've since erased them from my mind.
Didn't see any point in memorizing them all =D