Re: A83: Mysterious Data Increase

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Mysterious Data Increase

> Calculator assembly programs are stored as strings of hexadecimal on the
> calculator and because there are two hexadecimal digits per byte, adding
an
> extra byte will add two actual bytes (one to encode the first hexadecimal
> digit and another for the second) to the resulting 83p program. Look at an
> ASM program on the calculator, and if you know hex, you'll see what I
mean.

I sort of get it now. The calculator uses 2 hexadecimal digits (thus 2
bytes) to store the value of one byte. I understand this now, but I don't
think it really makes any sense. This would mean that any data stored in an
assembly program would take up exactly double the amount of memory that is
theoretically needed! This is, ahem, not awfully efficient, is it? Would
there be some trick to store a byte in a byte? Is this, maybe, what squish
and the likes do? (never used any of these)

Arnout
arnout.engelen@beer.com

PS it would be nice if people took care to quote correctly on this list.
That would make it more
easy to read threads.

Follow-Ups: References: