Re: A83: Include...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Include...

In accordance with the prophecy, Scott Dial uttered:

> Wow... so Linux is a flavor of Mac-OS? Wow... I guess that means Aurora
> is a flavor of mac-os

> Linus Akesson wrote:

>>> Yes I mean redhat..  and .com even :)
>>> And no, it isn't a unix flavour, it is a Linux distribution. (Linux is a unix
>>> flavour though) That is, it is the OS Linux, which is free, boundled together
>>> with a lot of software, both free and sometimes nonfree, and includeing an
>>> installation program, that does all the dirty work of setting up stuff, like the
>>> filesystem and configurations, for you.
>>> You don't need to get a distribution to get linux on your computer, but it makes
>>> it a heck of a lot easier.
>>
>>> //Olle
>>
>> Linux is NOT a Unix flavour. That's like stating that Windows 95 is a MacOS
>> flavour, just because they both multitask and have windows and icons.
>>
>> Linus
>>
>>    - Linus Akesson ------------------------- http://linusworld.cjb.net -
>>    ::: :::. :.:: :. ::.. : :... ::.: ::. :::: :.:. :: :..: :.. :.: :....
>>
>>                      F U CN RD THS U CNT SPL WRTH A DM!

Didn't say they were. I said that stating that "linux is a unix flavour" is
like stating that "windows 95 is a macos flavour". Clearly it is not.

Linus

   - Linus Akesson ------------------------- http://linusworld.cjb.net -

    "If you have an infinite number of monkeys and an infinite number of
    Sparcs, they will eventually code Solaris."
                                                          -- Dave Morgan

Follow-Ups: References: