Re: A83: OT: emacs...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: OT: emacs...

Daniel M Church wrote:
> I personally think that vi's keyboard commands are stranger... I /still/
> don't know how quit from it besides going to another terminal and kill
> -9'ing it.  But hey, I'm an emacs user... I'm biased.  Actually, I use
> MicroEmacs... it's a really small (200k) program which is yet a really
> easy to use, functionful (doesn't have eliza, but then who cares :) text
> editor.

I like vi  ( or vim)  too..  The big pro is that it exist in almost all systems.
And it is (at least vim) really powerfull. I saw once a guy who really knew vi..
it was amazing. he reformattet and stuff in notime.
anyway, to quit:
if you are in edit-mode, go to command-mode with esc. then write :q to quit, :q!
to force quit (without save) and :x to exit with save.
The thing most people have problems with in vi, is the concept of two modes,
edit-mode and command-mode.
It is quite nice sometimes. one thing I like with vi is that the commands are
actually quite logic. :)   to go to insert-mode from command, press i. to
append, press a. to append to end of the line you are at press A (more
powerfull). another thing is this command mulitplying thing. to delete a line,
press dd (in command-mode), and if you want to delet multiple lines, pres for
exampel  303dd  and you will delete 303 lines. fast and nice.  the same thing
with all commands that a mulitplying need.  (42x = delete 42 char to the right
of cursor)

Anyway, maybe we should leave this off topic thread now.. :)

//Olle

Follow-Ups: References: