Re: A83: learning asm

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: learning asm

>Not that I wanna be regarded as the surly hermit, but reading James'
>tutorials isn't the only way... I haven't even peeked at them (oh, well, I
>might have - but then I didn't come anywhere near _reading_ them). From
>knowing absolutely nil about Z80 assembly language a year ago, I looked
>through the official z80 specs and the documentation from TI. Then I wrote
my
>first program, a menu-based program locker/unlocker, without a link cable
>(thus I had to rewrite all of it whenever it crashed. =)).

Yep, then he went on to create the latest version of Quake with John Carmack
himself, since Carmack heard of Linus' superior skills to his own...etc.,
etc.  Of course, for those of us LESSER than (drum roll, please) Linus, my
tutorials are a good way to go, since too much of the specs and stuff assume
prior knowledge.  The TI-documentation is a little confusing without prior
knowledge too...like it makes wonderful sense to me now, but not when I was
a newbie.

>I actually tried looking at the spaze invader source code once, but when I
>saw how terribly it had been coded (sorry Hannes =)) I gave that up.

Of course!  You'll notice how Hannes' sprite routines are used in just about
EVERY ASM game released for the 83.  Although, I seem to remember Movax
saying it was a little screwed up in places, but I wouldn't call it
"terrible" by ANY stretch of the imagination.  But, I suppose I'm talking to
Linus here...SO I suppose he sees things differently.

></brag>

Lol, notice how you never OPENED that tag to begin with...sounds like you've
been bragging ever since you joined this fucking list.

>Besides, James' tutorials are nowadays written as a windoze 95 help file,
if
>I remember correctly. I mean - windoze 95! Who on earth is using windoze!?

Yeah, Windows, who uses that?!...HAHA!!  Stupid me.  Shut the hell up...
Plus, there ARE HTML versions, and soon a version in Dutch and French too...

>Linus

Love always, James.