Re: A83: new TI-83 Site

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: new TI-83 Site

In a message dated 02-02-99 5:56:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
timagic@yahoo.com writes:

<<  I use Geocities.  Whats not worth 66 megs of space for free.  Which
is not cheating if you read the rules real close.
  As for doamins goecities offers the same thing because its a
standard fee applied to register.  And if you register your domain
with them, you have no banners anyway.  I also use cjb.net, there
domain is shorter than webjump's.  I do think I will get a domain name
soon and move servers but there is nothing wrong with Geocities.
  Also I feel pop-ups are a lot better to deal with than banners stuck
to your page.  Me and my brother made a nice little program to deal
with that problem right off.  Even works with many of the other sites
people use.  Its avaliable on my site.>>

Well, because you have not advertised HOW to get the 66 megs, and I don't feel
like looking in the rules, I'm going to guess that the normal webmaster isn't
going to get the 66 megs.  Also, if you do manage to get 66 megs, it's still a
really annoying URL
(www.geocities.com/Times_Square/First_street/second_house/first_door_on_the_le
ft/7345/ticalc/index.html), and it ads a sort of contempt like "He's on
GEOCITIES?  Well, the page can't be good!", even if it's not true.  Also, last
time I checked (I don't know if I'm right or not), there is no ftp access, you
have to upload every file manually.  That gets annoying.  Also, there is no
CGI support, which webjump has (although, the perl interpreter is down right
now).
<<
>Tip #4:  Don't use frames, use a table.  Frames mess up your backround
>picture, and are harder to use links with.  No one likes a webpage
>that keeps a frame when you go to another page through a link.

   I use frames and it sets off the background of my site.  I actaully
 made the background with frames in mind.
     And all you need to do is add the target=parent and load a frame
 set with 100% width named parent before you load your page (as long as
 you set it up correctly it works).  True I haven't bothered to do this
 in my links but...
   As for tables???  I use them too but I don't think I have figured
 out what you are talking about here.

  If you look at my site (www.hmph.com/starcraft), then you will see what I
mean about tables.  Instead of having a frame and 3 seperate html documents
(index.html, mainframe.html, leftframe.html), you just create a table to make
it seem like frames.  Sure, some people like to be able to keep the left links
there when they scroll, but most don't really care.  Also, on smaller
resolusions and screens, there may end up being a scroll bar on the left
frame, and that gets really annoying, why not just have it scroll with main
document?  Oh well, I guess you can do what you want, but on the page I looked
at, it would have been better without frames.

<<  No offense meant by my biting and slashing of your words.  I'm just
bored waiting for dinner to hurry up.

Jimmy
www.timagic.cjb.net>>

mmmmm....dinner.....too bad it's breakfast time :(
And about the "biting and slashing", I don't mind it every-so-often, I like to
argue :P  Just don't make a habit of it :)

David
"Common sense is not so common." -- Voltaire