Re: A83: Platforms

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Platforms

On 09-Apr-99, you wrote:

> _createprog does work perfectly, insertmem does more damage to the vat than
> createprog. I used it in Chip83.
> On a system that doesn't multitask there is no need for true dynamic memory
> allocation.

> Joe Wingbermuehle
> http://joewing.calc.org

You couldn't be more wrong. What if I have a program that needs a different
amount of memory depending on what the user does/chooses? A 3d game working
with chunky gfx at a 96*64 resolution will need a chunky buffer of 6144
bytes! This is large amounts of memory on the ti-83. So the average user
would want to run it in, say, 48*64 instead. This would require a memory
buffer of 3072 bytes, but the graphics would become uglier. So... someone who
is really dedicated to the game, or maybe just downloaded it, would want to
try in full resolution, even if she can't have any other games on the calc
because of memory restrictions. This person then finds another game that she
wants to have on-calc, and since the 3d game had this clever dynamic memory
stuff, all she would have to do is change the settings and she'd get 3k extra
ram!

Or she could be stuck with two enormously memory hungry games on the
calculator, each one blocking the other's needs of free ram, but that
wouldn't really matter since she's got this really nice looking gui where she
can move a cursor up and down in a sucking program list! Get real!

Linus
--
                                                           wwww
                                                          (o)(O)