RE: A83: Plain Jump

[Prev][Index][Thread]

RE: A83: Plain Jump

>BTW, Sam, you might want to reconsider the keys for PJ83. I know that
you
>probably wanted to keep it like the TI-85/6 versions, but the keys are
>really confusing on the 83, especially the teacher key. Since PJ exits
>the shell when Y= is pressed, and SOS starts a program when Y= is
pressed,
>the result is a immediate return to the game when the teacher key is
>pressed, if you hold it down too long. It usually takes me 2 or 3 tries
>use the teacher key feature.
>
>Instead, you could make the MODE or the DEL key be the teacher key
(maybe
>the DEL key being the teacher key and the MODE key being a pause
feature),
>and make CLEAR be the exit key. This is a common layout for most TI-83
>games, so most people are used to it already. When I first played PJ83,
>accidentally pressed MODE a bunch of times, expecting to pause, but
>accidentally exiting.
>
>Just my thoughts,
>
>Eric Sun
>http://calc.ml.org/

     I know the common keys layout :) I was one of the pioneers of it. I
got tired on the 82 of constantly pressing MODE to exit(which last year
was what the majority of games on the 82/83 used as exit with the
exception of Nagel's games), because ASH used MODE to exit. So I used
CLEAR as exit(because thats what was used in Spaze Invaders my favorite
game at the time) and MODE as Pause in Galaxian. I then used that
identical layout in Orzunoid 82/83, Pac-Man 82/83, Ztetris 82/83, and
Picross 82/83. Since getting an 86 and having my 82 smashed :(  I have
gotten more accustomed to the 86 layout. Thats why BoulderDash and
PlainJump, my most recent ports, have awkward controls. Basically, I was
so used to the 86 controls, I decided not to change them. I guess I'll
update BoulderDash and PlainJump with 82/83 controls, soon.