A83: Re: RASM - pending release

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A83: Re: RASM - pending release

-----Original Message-----
From: RICHARD BURGESS <r_burgess@yahoo.com>
To: assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org <assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org>
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 1998 12:51 PM
Subject: A83: RASM - pending release

>I am proud to announce the upcoming release of a new utility for
>interpreting '83 asm code.  The program is called RASM and is a

What exactly does this program do?  Is it a full calculator emulator, or
does it just simulate the calc's environment and have the more common rom
calls hard coded?

>downloadable .cab file which contains it's own setup wizard. For
>future versions I will probably charge a small fee.  I would

If you charge a fee, I would bet that very few (no more than 5-10) people
would buy it.  Everything done for the calculator is free, so you can't
expect people to pay for development utilities.  I have seen a total of two
calculator games that the author wanted money for:

The first was Asteroids, and the author wanted a dollar to remove the beg
screen, because he said his 85 had been stolen.
The second is MC-Mik, Andrea Ess's paged greyscale sidescroller for the 85.
I think he wanted $5 for the last two episodes.

I can't say how good your program is, but it would have to be VERY good to
come close to Assembly Studio 86 v3.0a with Calc Explorer for the 86.
Assembly Studio is a full editor/assembler, with a sprite editor, code
timer/counter for a selected block of code, full help file including all of
the z80 commands, 86 system information, and about 40-50 rom calls fully
documented.  The Calc Explorer lets you view all the variables on your calc
as a normal Win95/98 directory, giving a much nicer interface than the one
built into the graphlink software.  It also sets up the file types so that
the default action for any 86 file is to send it to the calc.  While looking
at a directory, just click on .86p file and a calc explorer pops up and
sends it to your calc.  It is also integrated into assembly studio so you
can have it assemble the program and automatically send it to the calc.

Ok, enough talk about it, because this is an 83 list.  Assembly Studio is as
professional as any compiler/assembler you'd buy from a company such as
Borland or Microsoft.  And it probably has better online help.  Calc
Explorer is at least 10 times better than TI's own Graphlink Software.  I'm
surprise TI hasn't offered to buy it from the author.  But here's the point:
IT IS 100% FREE!

Just something to think about...