>From: Linus Akesson <lairfight@softhome.net>
>To: Miles Raymond <assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org>
>Date: Friday, October 09, 1998 3:03 PM
>Subject: Re: A83: Re: Bugs in Sos v1.5

>*CLIP*
>>
>>PS. (not particularly a reply to this msg) That includes checking for split
>>screen mode, restoring all flags you change, checking for low memory
>>situations, checking and relying on user preferences like contrast level,
>>output mode etc., not using names that users may want to change, like prgmA
>>or something, (boy am I picking on Joe today.. =)) accepting that the user
>>may have entered one or more y= equations etc. etc.

>Why not just screw the "User Settings" and just make a ROM call to the RESET
>DEFAULTS?  It'd take a lot less RAM and would be faster.  Talk about
>optimizing code... =)  Besides, the user would get accustomed to it.

>-Miles Raymond

Well, NO because coders should service the users, not force them into
anything. Yes, we sure enough _can_ force users to anything by doing f.ex.
like you said, but that's not the point. Sure, small utilities to help
yourself like romdump programs, port monitors etc. can be made as simple as
possible, but games or programs that other people would want to use _must_
accept user preferences.

Still, you PC/Mac users wouldn't get my point however long I went on about
it. =)

Linus