Re: A83: Menus & ZMENULIB

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Menus & ZMENULIB

I agree with Linus on libraries for shell-independent programs, especially
since I stole the idea from my vast array of ancient programming books.  The
term library was founded not too very long ago, however, because the old
name is "shared files."  Well, my guess is that the change came about
between 1974 and 1975 since I have a book from 1974 that refers to them as
"shared files" and a book from 1975 that refers to them as "libraries." hehe
They all agree that libraries are meant to conserve space while allowing
programs to use code that is optimized for speed though.

Anyway, here's why there will always be compatibility problems: as long as
computers exist, I will write for a particular system/os/shell that I like
and others will do likewise. So what? Deal with it.

And lastly, when I say I would have changed the library format, I meant
from:
.db "ZLIB",0,0,0,0,lib1,vec1
to:
.db "ZLIB",0,lib1,vec1
That and the way I wrote ZLib (which isn't terribly excessive anyway...).
So you waste 3 bytes every time you use ZLib; I bet you waste more looking
up that long name ZMENULIB in the vat.

Joe Wingbermuehle
http://www.usmo.com/~joewing/