Re: A83: Menus & ZMENULIB

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Menus & ZMENULIB

In a message dated 10/03/98 6:04:03 PM, lairfight@softhome.net writes:

>ZMENULIB is a 395 bytes big file, containing ready-to-use menu code.
>It is NOT a sos library. Instead, you have to look the program up, and
>jump to the beginning of it. This way, it can be used by shell-independent
>programs (AND sos programs of course).

Hey Linus, nice job on this, but I think its kind of contradictory to make
this shell-independent, and call it a _Library_ at the same time... =P  I
personally think that SOS should progress as the main shell (I think other
people besides Me and Joe use this shell), and this shell is more useful than
Ashell or running programs from the OS, because of the obvious reason of
Library Usage... Although, you have a point that any of these methods of
running programs should be able to use your routine, but why not create a SOS
library for it, and then people just start coding for SOS... =P  I know I
shouldn't be bias to anything but SOS, and that it shouldn't monopolize the
shell usage, but having One shell would cut back on compatibility problems and
competition, for example, look at the shell wars or the 85 and 86 (the 82
also, but Ash 3.1 will soon resolve that) and think of how Plusshell and
DoorsOS Compatibility for the 89 at this time are causing conflicts... Is it
really Morally wrong to have a Specific shell for a calculator and eliminate
competition? Its not competition for money but more like programmer and shell
popularity (y'all know it is), but it would make the Users of all the calcs
(Including the Calculator-Adept Programmers, and the "Calculator Impaired"
people at school who depend on us for games) it would make everything a little
bit easier to focus on one Shell... Whew, a lot of Preaching in there, did
that have "ticalc.org News Article" potential, since it was a whole lot of
crap...? Well anyways, I'm sure Ill get a lot of negative opposition on this,
Bring It On! =P
																--Jason K.